Tai Dillard: My Holidays
January 11, 2005

Now you can email your questions to Tai Dillard!
Shalom everyone!! (That means Hello)

First off I would like to say Happy New Year to everyone. I hope everyone had a safe holiday season. My holiday season was just grand. I got to go home for 10 days. It was just so wonderful.

Okay, so this is how my holiday break started. We played our last game on Dec. 20. We lost, but it was a tough game and we really competed with Ramla (they have Crystal Robinson and Shameka Christon from the New York Liberty). All of the Americans had flights to leave out on the 21st. Guess when I had to leave! On the 22nd. So here I am in Israel by myself again. I was bored out of my mind. Not only was I the last one to leave, I also had to wait until 11:45 that night. It was terrible. I was so anxious to get home that I wanted to cry.

The flight from Tel Aviv to the U.S. was 11 hours. That was the longest it ever took. I could not even sleep, maybe an hour at the most. So the rest of the time I had to endure watching I, Robot three times. I don’t ever want to see that movie again. Well, we finally reached Newark at four in the morning. My flight to San Antonio did not leave until 8:50 a.m. Once again I was waiting and waiting and waiting. The flight to S.A. took four hours. I was screaming in my head, WHY SO LONG!!!!!!! I finally reached S.A. at 12:30 p.m. I stood up and said “Praise the Lord I am home.” When I was walking down the hall to the baggage area I saw my family; I was so elated. It was the best feeling in the world. I never realized I missed them so much especially my brothers. My brother, Darik, gave me biggest and longest hug and he said he missed me. My other brother, Jarett, just gave me a little head nod and a handshake. He thinks he is too good to show his older sister some love. It’s all part of his “game.” But other than that, my mom and my aunts were there.

After all the hugging and sentimental gestures we got my bags and left the airport. Now guess where’s the first place I went once I left the airport. Home? No. Shopping? No. I went straight to the hair salon. Yes I did. I had gone eight months without a relaxer and I just couldn’t take it any longer. After I got my hair done I was looking DIVA. Then I went home after that.

On the 24th I had to get all of my shopping done before 6 p.m. I also did a Christmas reading session with Sean Marks of the San Antonio Spurs at that San Antonio Children’s Shelter. It felt really good reading for the children at the shelter. I felt bad for the situations that most of the children were in. But their sprits were high, so mine were too. The kids were so excited for Christmas.

Getting all my Christmas shopping done would be a task. I really didn’t know what everyone wanted or needed. I asked my brothers what they wanted. For my dad, my brothers and I went three ways and got him a surround sound system for the TV. And for my mom and aunts, I got them workout outfits since they are always working out. Later that night I went to a party where I saw all of my friends from high school and around the way. I was so happy to see all of them.

Christmas Day was special. Just sitting around watching the family open gifts and show love was great. Watching my brother, Darik, open and play with all of his toys reminded me of the times when Jarett and I used to wake up and play with all of our toys on Christmas Day. Later that night we had Christmas dinner and it was the bomb. My mom sure can cook.

The rest of the week I just visited more people, worked out, and hung out with my friends. I went to a UT Longhorns game on the 28th. They beat Sam Houston State. It was good seeing all of my coaches and my old teammates. I miss them too.

On New Year’s Eve I went to church to watch my best friend, Cristen, do a dance. Afterwards I went home and brought in the New Year with my family. Well, it was just my parents and I. Jarett was on a date and Darik spent the night at a friend’s house. My mom had to wake my dad up at 11:58 so he would be ready. 3,2,1, Happy New Years!!! In my head I was like, here I am a grown woman and I am at home on New Year’s Eve. Luckily a friend called and said he was having a get together at his house. At 12:10 I was in my car heading to the house party.

New Year’s Day was a happy and dreadful day. I was happy because it was the beginning of a new year, but I was sad because I had to leave to go back to Israel. I didn’t cry though. I am pretty sure my mom cried. The process leaving was much easier and quicker. The only good thing about being in the airport that day was I got to watch Texas beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl while I was partaking in my seven-hour layover in Newark. Hook’em Horns. Vince Young is the real deal. That boy is good.

Well, that is all I have for now. I will fill you in later with everything that goes on in Israel while I am here for the next three months. I want to thank everyone for their emails they sent. I read all of them. Hopefully I responded to all of them. If I didn’t, send me another please. I LOVE EMAILS, even when my family emails me. It cuts the cost in telephone bill tremendously.

Boka Tov, (That means good day)