Candace Parker Named Player of the Month for July
Parker Led the League in Rebounds and Blocks and Ranked Sixth in Scoring
Los Angeles – The WNBA named Los Angeles Sparks forward Candace Parker the Western Conference Player of the Month presented by Boost Mobile for the Month of July, for games played through July 13, when the league officially began its break for the 2012 Olympic Games.
Parker, who also earned Western Conference Player of the Month presented by Boost Mobile honors in May and June, helped the Sparks to a 5-0 mark in July while leading the league in rebounds (12.0 rpg) and blocks (2.2 bpg), and ranking sixth in scoring (20.0 ppg). En route to claiming the July honor, Parker, the 2008 league MVP and Rookie of the Year, helped Los Angeles improve to 15-6 overall, third best in the tightly contested Western Conference.
Highlights of Parker’s month included:
• Notched four double-doubles
• Opened the month with 28 points, 13 rebounds, two blocks and a pair of assists in a 96-90 win over Minnesota on July 5
• Recorded her 13th double-double of the season with 22 points and 14 boards (including 11 on the defensive end), and three blocks in a 90-71 road win at Phoenix on July 10.
• Recorded 17 points, 14 rebounds, and three steals en route to an 83-59 decision over Seattle on July 7.
• Closed out her July performance with 19 points, four blocks and seven boards in a 77-74 road win over Eastern Conference contender Indiana on July 12.
The 2008 WNBA MVP and Rookie of the Year has also been named Player of the Week in the Western Conference four times this season.
The Connecticut Sun Forward Tina Charles was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Month presented by Boost Mobile. It is her second straight award. In leading the Sun to a 5-1 record in July, Charles paced the conference in rebounds (11.2 rpg), was second in minutes (35.7 mpg), and fourth in scoring (19.0 ppg).