Frequently Asked Questions
The WNBA is a unique global sports property combining competition, sportsmanship, and entertainment value with its status as an icon for social change, achievement, and diversity. Composed of 13 teams, the WNBA is the most successful women’s professional team sports league in the world. The league concluded its historic 13th regular season with increased attendance for the third consecutive year and increased viewership on ESPN2 for a second straight season.
2. Where are the other WNBA teams located
- Atlanta Dream - Atlanta, GA
- Chicago Sky - Chicago, IL
- Connecticut Sun - Uncasville, CT
- Indiana Fever - Indianapolis, IN
- Los Angeles Sparks - Los Angeles, CA
- Minnesota Lynx - Minneapolis, MN
- New York Liberty - New York, NY
- Phoenix Mercury - Phoenix, AZ
- San Antonio Silver Stars - San Antonio, TX
- Seattle Storm - Seattle, WA
- Washington Mystics - Washington D.C.
3. What is the length of the WNBA season?
The 2010 WNBA season will begin on May 15 and the regular season will conclude on August 22nd. A standard Playoff schedule will begin one week after regular season ends.
4. Who are some of the prominent WNBA players?
Top veterans: Alana Beard (Mystics), Seimone Augustus, Lindsay Whalen (Lynx), Sue Bird (Storm), Tamika Catchings, Katie Douglas (Fever), Becky Hammon, Sophia Young (Silver Stars), Asjha Jones (Sun), Janel McCarville, Shameka Christon (Liberty), Cappie Pondexter, Diana Taurasi (Mercury), Tina Thompson, Candace Parker (Sparks).
Rising stars: Alexis Hornbuckle and Shavonte Zellous (Tulsa Shock's 1st round picks the past two years), Angel McCoughtry, Sancho Lyttle, Erika de Souza (Dream), Briann January (Fever), Candice Wiggins, Charde Houston, Nicky Anosike (Lynx), Essence Carson (Liberty), DeWanna Bonner (Mercury), Sylvia Fowles, Jia Perkins (Sky), Lindsey Harding (Mystics).
5. What is the name of the WNBA team in Tulsa?
The Tulsa franchise, formerly the Detroit Shock until it moved to Tulsa in October, narrowed the team names to Fire, Tempo and Shock in late November and encouraged fans to vote in an online poll. Fans of the new team selected 'Shock.'
6. Where will the WNBA Tulsa team play
BOK Center 200 South Denver Tulsa, OK 74103 http://www.bokcenter.com/index.asp
7. How can I purchase tickets?
Please visit http://www.wnba.com/shock. Should you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com, or call 1-877-90-HOOPS (46677).
8. If I am a company interested in a partnership with the WNBA Tulsa team, who do I contact?
Please call 1-877-90-HOOPS (46677).
9. How can I work for the WNBA Tulsa team?
Please visit www.teamworkonline.com.
10. When will the WNBA Tulsa team begin play?
The inaugural season for the WNBA Tulsa team will be during the 2010 season.
11. Who are the players on the WNBA Tulsa team and where will they come from?
Players who were on the Detroit Shock’s end-of-season roster and are under contract for 2010 will now belong to the Tulsa franchise. Other Shock players who are not under contract for 2010 will be available to all WNBA teams as free agents in early January.
Tulsa will inherit a talented group of players including veterans Deanna Nolan, Kara Braxton and Plenette Pierson, as well as rising stars Alexis Hornbuckle, Shavonte Zellous and Olayinka Sanni. In addition, Scholanda Robinson was acquired by the Tulsa team during the Sacramento Monarchs dispersal draft.
12. How can I contact the WNBA Tulsa team?
Please call 1-877-90-HOOPS (46677)