T-Mobile to Present the 2008
WNBA Most Valuable Player Award
-- For the First Time Ever Fans Can Help Decide the 2008
WNBA MVP Award
Presented by T-Mobile by Casting Their Vote on WNBA.com --
T-Mobile will also be the presenting partner of 2008 WNBA MVP Voting, and for the first time ever, fans will be asked to help decide the 2008 WNBA MVP by casting their votes on WNBA.com/mvpvote. WNBA MVP Voting presented by T-Mobile begins today, August 28, and will continue through September 15. The recipient of the 2008 WNBA Most Valuable Player Award presented by T-Mobile will be announced during the WNBA Playoffs.
"The WNBA Most Valuable Player Award presented by T-Mobile recognizes our league's most outstanding talent and is the highest individual achievement for our players," said WNBA President Donna Orender. "Having T-Mobile support this award is consistent with the WNBA's goal to directly engage our broad and passionate fanbase through a variety of unique initiatives."
"T-Mobile has been and continues to be a proud supporter of the WNBA," said Mike Belcher, Vice President of Marketing at T-Mobile USA. "We are honored to have the opportunity to partner with the WNBA to acknowledge and award the league's top players."
2008 WNBA MVP Voting presented by T-Mobile will be supported online at WNBA.com, during WNBA telecasts, and through the "Race to the MVP" feature on WNBA.com that tracks MVP candidates each week.
In addition, a "WNBA MVP presented by T-Mobile" sweepstakes will run during the voting period on WNBA.com/mvpvote. Everyone that casts a vote for their MVP candidate on WNBA.com/mvpvote will automatically be entered into the sweepstakes. The winner and a guest will win a trip to a 2008 WNBA Finals game, WNBA merchandise, a T-Mobile handset, and a $100 prepaid T-Mobile service card.
The online fan vote will comprise 25% of the total MVP vote, while the media vote will make up the remaining 75% of the vote.
There have been five recipients of the MVP Award in the WNBA's 11-year history. Past WNBA MVP Award winners include Lauren Jackson (Seattle Storm - 2007, 2003), Lisa Leslie (Los Angeles Sparks - 2006, 2004, 2001), Sheryl Swoopes (Houston Comets - 2005, 2002, 2000), Yolanda Griffith (Sacramento Monarchs - 1999) and Cynthia Cooper (Houston Comets - 1998, 1997).
* NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PLAY OR INCREASE CHANCES OF WINNING. Void where prohibited. Go to WNBA.com/mvpvote for Official Rules, which govern, including how to enter/play, plus prize drawing, entry dates and Sweepstakes operation/restrictions.
About T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile USA, Inc. is the U.S. operation of Deutsche Telekom AG's Mobile Communications Business, and a wholly owned subsidiary of T-Mobile International, one of the world's leading companies in mobile communications. By the end of the second quarter of 2008, 125 million mobile customers were served by the mobile communication segments of the Deutsche Telekom group - 31.5 million by T-Mobile USA - all via a common technology platform based on GSM, the world's most widely used digital wireless standard. T-Mobile's innovative wireless products and services help empower people to connect to those who matter most. Multiple independent research studies continue to rank T-Mobile among the highest in numerous regions throughout the U.S. in wireless customer care and call quality. For more information, please visit www.t-mobile.com. T-Mobile is a federally registered trademark of Deutsche Telekom AG.
About the WNBA
Comprised of 14 teams and entering its 12th season, the WNBA is the most successful women's professional team sports league in the world. The 2008 season tipped off May 17 with ESPN2 again providing appointment viewing in the form of its "WNBA Tuesdays" telecasts. During the 2008 season, combined coverage on ABC and ESPN2 will include 21 national telecasts, while NBA TV, the league's 24-hour television network, will offer 70 regular-season contests.
Through WNBA Cares, the WNBA is deeply committed to creating programs that improve the quality of life for all people, with a special emphasis on programs that promote a healthy lifestyle and positive body image, increase breast and women's health awareness, support youth and family development, and focus on education. For more information on the WNBA, log on to www.wnba.com.