- Maya Moore led the way tonight keying a 14-2 run in the first quarter, scoring all 14 and hit the game-clinching jumper with 4.0 seconds left in the game. Moore finished with a game-high 38 points on 12-of-28 shooting, including 12-of-13 from the free throw line. Tonight was Moore’s second 30+ point performance of the season (22nd career) and most points since scoring 40 at Connecticut on July 7, 2016.
- After grabbing six rebounds, including three offensive, the Lynx move to 9-2 on the season when she grabs six or more rebounds.
- Moore’s nine made free throws tie the club record set by Moore in the fourth quarter at Washington on September 2, 2016.
- In a season-high 31:55 of action off the bench, Danielle Robinson finished with a season-high 16 points (previous was 15 at Indiana on July 11) on 7-of-15 shooting and four rebounds. Robinson dished out three assists and swiped a game-high-tying two steals.
- Seimone Augustus added 15 points on 7-of-15 shooting and swatted a season-high two shots. The Lynx move to 10-4 when Augustus scores in double-figures.
- Rebekkah Brunson grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds, marking the fifth double-digit rebounding effort of the season and 123rd of her career.
- On the heels of Sylvia Fowles’ 30-point effort vs. Indiana on Wednesday, tonight marks the first time in franchise history the Lynx have received a 30+ point performance in consecutive games but from different players (Maya Moore has accomplished that feat individually).
- Led by Brunson’s 11 rebounds and Erlana Larkins’ eight rebounds, the Lynx outrebounded Phoenix 37-27, the team’s league-leading 10th double-digit rebounding advantage of the season.
- Minnesota improves to 7-0 all-time at Talking Stick Resort Arena (including two playoff wins). The Lynx went 10-15 at US Airways and 4-9 at America West.
- The Lynx return to action on Tuesday night for the final game before the All-Star game as they host the New York Liberty. Tip is set for 7:00 p.m. CT. The game can be heard on BOB 106 FM and can be seen on ESPN2.
|Lynx Leaders||Mercury Leaders|
|Maya Moore||38 Points||DeWanna Bonner||29 Points|
|Rebekkah Brunson||11 Rebounds||Brittney Griner||6 Rebounds|
|Danielle Robinson||3 Assists||Stephanie Talbot||3 Assists|
Lynx HEAD COACH Cheryl reeve
(On the game…)
We defended well. I thought Phoenix played about as hard as you could play. We answered that first five minutes and ended up taking the lead, and it got a little crazy after that. It was one of those games where we talk to our players about finding a way to stay focused throughout the chaos. This is a tough place to play and they have a great crowd here. I thought we executed some good stuff tonight. The two bigs both struggled with a bit of foul trouble so it was not necessarily a big versus big game. I thought our other bigs did a nice job on BG as well as our help defense behind her. We were hard to play against defensively.
(On Seimone Augustus stepping up…)
We always need Seimone. Both teams have their big three, so we needed Seimone to step up without us having much production from Syl. There was a stretch there where Maya struggled but I thought Seimone took over and made some hard shots. That is just what she does, that’s what she has done throughout her whole career.
(On free throws affecting game flow…)
You have to adjust to what’s happening in the game whether that’s the opponent, the officiating, or whatever it is. We have to stay focused on the next play, and not let things get away from us. I thought for the most part we did that. There were moments where our emotions got away from us but I thought overall being in such a hostile environment we did a good job. I’m proud of us. That was not an easy win for us to get.
Lynx forward Maya moore 38 points | 6 REBOUNDS
(On holding off Phoenix in the fourth quarter…)
I thought it was just a combination of getting the stops that we needed to and staying poised on offense. We had some big plays from Rebekkah, Seimone, and Danielle. I just try to do what I can, and the ball was going in. We just had to continue to stay with the high level of focus we needed to complete plays. When the games are wild like that, we just have to be able to find a way to turn up your focus and finish.
(On playing with Rebekkah Brunson…)
Ive admired here since I got here. She is the model of consistency with her energy. She is somebody who is often guarding one of the best players on the other team, while at the same time expected to help us offensively. She has so many ways that she impacts the game, and she’s a huge part of our success.
lynx ForwarD Seimone Augustus 15 points | 2 rebounds
(On high scoring night…)
We just had great ball movement. When Maya plays the way she was, she creates open opportunities for other people. We just wanted to be aggressive and try to put some pressure on the defense.
(On team slowing down Griner…)
She’s a big body, and she has obviously progressed her game. If you don’t get her out of the lane it’s two points. We just tried to send as many bodies as we could, and we just did the best that we could on her.
MERCURY HEAD COACH SANDY BRONDELLO
(On the game…)
“I thought we had really good effort. We fought hard so I was really proud of their effort and execution. We were right there, so just one of those games. It’s the kinds of games we always have against the Lynx. It’s always very physical and it’s always very, you know, it gets a little emotional there as well. I’m just sad that we got the loss because we did play very hard.”
(On Stephanie Talbot…)
“I’m very proud of her. She’s a player that hasn’t played all season long and she stepped up and took the opportunity that was presented to her. Obviously, with Leilani not being here, we said you should be ready and play your game and be aggressive.”
(On message to team after tonight’s loss…)
“We just have to stay together. It’s not my position to talk about the referees. For us, it’s more that we have to keep digging deep. We’re in a battle for a playoff spot here, that’s our goal, and the goal hasn’t changed. Whatever adversity faces us, we have to just respond in the right manner. I thought we did tonight, and I thought we took a step forward. The final result wasn’t what we wanted, but I thought we took a step forward into the way we need to play for these remaining games.”
MERCURY guard Stephanie Talbot 15 points | 3 REBOUNDS
(On team playing without Diana Taurasi…)
“We were just trying to step up and take our shots when they were there. When our best player’s not there, that’s the role, to step up. I think if we can all play like that when she comes back into the game next game, then we’re in a good place.”
“I mean we got down by 10 but I think it shows character that we stuck together and we able to nearly fight back. And I think we can bring that fight, like I said, when Diana is back in the game we’ll be fine.”
Mercury Forward Dewanna Bonner 29 points | 5 Rebounds
(On Stephanie Talbot…)
“She played great, for someone who hasn’t had her opportunity to play to step up like that. I think she had the biggest play of the game, that steal, and then she got a rebound and unfortunately didn’t get anything called. But she played great off the bench and did exactly what we needed at the right time.
(On stepping up without Diana Taurasi…)
“Everybody had to step up and do a little more. I knew I had to get aggressive. We had to find BG a little bit more. They played really good defense but everybody just said, Okay, let’s step up and do a little bit more.”