Maya Moore and Sylvia Fowles Named WNBA Players of the Month
NEW YORK, September 4, 2013 – Sylvia Fowles of the Chicago Sky and Maya Moore of the Minnesota Lynx were named the WNBA’s Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month, respectively, for games played in August.
Highlights of Fowles’ play in August included:
• Aug. 2 vs. Washington: Double-double with a personal season-best 32 points (10-for-14) and 15 rebounds in addition to five blocked shots in an 85-78 win.
• Aug. 11 vs. Minnesota: 31 points on 10-of-13 shooting, including 11-of-11 from the free-throw line in a 94-86 win over the Western Conference-leading Lynx.
• Aug. 18 vs. Connecticut: 20 points, 21 rebounds in an 89-78 victory.
Moore’s 21.6 ppg led the Western Conference last month as Minnesota (22-7) went 8-4 and clinched a playoff berth. Moore eclipsed the 15-point mark in 10 of her team’s 12 games while ranking first league-wide in three-pointers made with 30, as well as first in the West in three-point field goal percentage at .500. Moore was named Western Conference Player of the Week on Aug. 12 and Aug. 26.
Highlights of Moore’s play in August included:
• Aug. 18 vs. New York: 28 points on 11-of-17 shooting, including 6-for-10 from behind the three-point line in an 88-57 win.
• Aug. 24 vs. Indiana: Scored a WNBA season-high 35 points on 15-of-21 from the field in an 84-77 victory.
• Aug. 31 vs. Seattle: 30 points on 12-of-15 from the field and five rebounds in a 97-74 win.