The Fever’s 84-59 win over the Phoenix Mercury revealed some of Indiana’s new athleticism and depth, as Indiana moved to 2-0 in the preseason. Indiana’s first- and second-round rookies, Tan White (15) and Yolanda Paige (18), combined for 33 points in the win over the Mercury.
The Fever has continued its training camp player movement, waiving Katrina Hibbert before Tuesday night’s game, and Annissa Hastings on Wednesday morning. Former Fever starter and European star Jurgita Streimikyte arrived in Indianapolis and began practicing with the team Wednesday, as did former Washington and Seattle forward Tonya Massaline.Other training camp notes following Tuesday’s win over the Mercury:
- When Indiana travels to Phoenix on Sunday, the Fever will attempt to close out its first undefeated preseason in franchise history.
- White and Paige’s 33 points, all off the bench, were just five shy of the 38 points scored by Phoenix’ starting lineup.
- White shot 5-of-10 from the floor and made two of three 3-point attempts. She also added two assists, two blocked shots and a pair of steals. Paige, meanwhile, sparked a late first-half run that saw Indiana jump to a six-point lead while trailing by one. The Fever led by eight at the intermission and never looked back. In 22 minutes, Paige scored 18 points while adding three assists and two steals. She scored 12 of her 18 points at the foul stripe.
- Indiana’s bench totaled 59 points overall, including another 15 by Deanna Jackson, to match the Mercury’s game total.
- Among players who have played in both preseason games, Jackson is the Fever’s top scorer with 12.5 points per game. She has shot 8-of-12 from the floor and 9-of-12 at the charity stripe.
- Point guard Tully Bevilaqua, who scored 15 points at Detroit, made just one basket against the Phoenix. The one basket, though, was her fourth 3-pointer of the preseason and kept her perfect from the floor in two games – she has made all four FG attempts and all six FT attempts.
- Rookie free agent forward Jenni Benningfield continues to make her bid for the Fever roster as she scored seven points with two rebounds against Phoenix. In two games, she has shot 8-of-11 from the floor, totaling 17 points and six boards in 36 minutes. She is Indiana’s field goal percentage leader heading into Sunday’s preseason finale at Phoenix.
- In two preseason games, Indiana has made 55 out of 68 free throw attempts – 30-of-33 vs. Detroit and 25-of-35 against Phoenix. By comparison, that is more FTs made and attempted than in any two games of the 2004 regular season. Individually, Paige’s 12-for-15 at the foul stripe against Phoenix was just shy of the Fever’s single-game record performance by Tamika Catchings – 14-of-16 vs. New York in 2002.
- Besides two wins, the Fever also boast a pair of new graduates! Fever All-Star Tamika Catchings walked through commencement exercises on Friday, May 6 upon receiving her master’s degree at the University of Tennessee. White, who missed the preseason game with Detroit in order to complete her final exams at Mississippi State University, took part in MSU’s undergraduate graduation ceremonies last week.
- Indiana closes the preseason at Phoenix on Sunday, May 15, and battles the Mercury still again on May 24 (7:00 p.m.) when Phoenix returns to Indy for the second game of the regular season.
- Following its preseason games with Phoenix, the Fever will conduct an open practice for season ticket holders and guests on May 18 (6:00 p.m.). The practice will include a Fever scrimmage, and the first 400 season ticket holders in attendance will receive a Girls of Summer party favor! All fans are welcome. Bring a friend and Spread the Fever!
- A day after the Fever’s open practice, Freddy Fever and the Fever players and coaches will invade Monument Circle to join Emmis Communications in celebrating the start of the regular season! The Fever Rally On the Circle takes place from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m., May 19. Join Freddy and the gang to shoot for prizes – including tickets to Indiana’s opening game on Sunday, May 22 (6:00 p.m.).
- Got a schedule? If not, mark down Sunday, May 22 (6:00 p.m.) and attend the Fever’s opening game against the Charlotte Sting. From that point forward, the Fever will offer schedule giveaways at each of its first three games!
- Schedule T-Shirts will be given away, courtesy of Community Health Network, at the opening game on May 22.
- Schedule Magnets will be given away, courtesy of The Indianapolis Star, at the second home game, May 24 vs. Phoenix.
- Schedule Posters will be given away, courtesy of McDonald’s, at the Fever’s third home game, June 1 vs. Sacramento.
- Got Tickets? Individual game tickets for the Indiana Fever’s 2005 regular season may be purchased at the Conseco Fieldhouse Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets, by visiting www.ConsecoFieldhouse.com or www.Ticketmaster.com, or by calling (877) WNBA-TIX. For season or group ticket information, call (317) 917-2500.