Notes and Quotes: September 8-14, 2008
- Connecticut Sun forward Tamika Raymond after scoring a season-high 11 points in Saturday's win over Washington, to The Day
"Home court is something you play to. Statistically, it has clearly been born out that it matters. More than that, you just want to be playing good basketball. I think the fact that you're able to close the season playing good basketball means even more than home court."
- Silver Stars coach Dan Hughes on his team clinching the top spot in the West, to the San Antonio Express-News
"I think we just came out sluggish and came out slow, and, I mean, this was a dangerous team, because they had nothing to lose. We knew they had nothing to lose, and we played as if we had something to prove. We can't do that. Everybody else is going to look at this and say like, 'How did you lose to Atlanta?' and things like that, but we've got to move past this."
- Sparks rookie Candace Parker on Thursday's home loss to Atlanta, to the L.A. Daily News
"I've got to be smart with this for longevity reasons. I definitely feel
better and I'm moving better. I don't have any of the pain that I had before."
- Lauren Jackson after having about five chips of bone removed from her ankle during surgery, to the Seattle Times
"I just tried to encourage her. I told her she would be all right. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt."
- Tamika Catchings after a foul sent Olympic teammate Seimone Augustus to the floor (and eventually the hospital) with a mild concussion, to the Star Tribune
"I think we like who we are. We have a better understanding of our roles and responsibilities. We believe we're the best team, and that goes a long way."
- Shock coach Bill Laimbeer on his team's playoff hopes, to the Detroit News
"Before the season, everybody outside of Sacramento didn't think we'd make it. This is a huge, huge accomplishment for us."
- Monarchs co-captain Kara Lawson after her team clinched a playoff spot, to the Sacramento Bee
"Becky is a terrific player. When we traded her, we understood what we
were trading. She's in a situation now where she's playing with great players.
She doesn't have to do it every night and I mean she's playing with a lot of
really good players around her. You put emphasis on her and then the other ones
kill you. You try to take the others away and she kills you."
- Liberty coach Pat Coyle on former New York guard Becky Hammon
"I don't know about anyone else, but it feels good to win by 20."
- Sky coach Steven Key after beating the Mystics on Tuesday
"Next year we're going to be a whole lot better. We promise."
- Dream guard Betty Lennox apologizing to the Atlanta fans for her team's poor overall record, including 1-16 at home, to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"I'm aware of [the standings], but it's not like I live and die by them.
I think we're doing a good job of just focusing on us. The whole thing, coming
out of the [Olympic] break, was about focusing on us."
- Connecticut forward Asjha Jones, to the Hartford Courant