Notes and Quotes: September 1-7, 2008
- Vickie Johnson on anything less than a championship being a disappointment for San Antonio this season
"(That's) what happens (when) you have Cappie and Dee attacking - they're going to play hard and they play with their heart. They're playing hard and with such intensity levels that everybody is following along."
- Mercury head coach Corey Gaines on Diana Taurasi and Cappie Pondexter playing well in Sunday's 99-74 win over the Comets
"It was incredible. I don't know what to draw up to get a better shot
than a layup."
- Sun head coach Mike Thibault on his team's missed layups in the first half in Sunday's loss to San Antonio
"I'm not satisfied. I want a ring. I want it so bad that every time I
see a sports movie where they triumph over whatever adversity they have, I cry.
Because I want to know what the feeling is like to win it all, and I've never
had that opportunity."
- Tamika Whitmore of the Sun on her championship hopes this season, to ESPN.com
"I don't know. I swear it's nothing different than what I've done all
- Sue Bird of the Storm on the improvement in her scoring numbers since Lauren Jackson has left the team, to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"I practiced every day and worked on things that I couldn't have worked
on during the season without the break. A lot was mental too."
- Shock forward Plenette Pierson on how she stayed sharp during the break
"Time sort of has run out [on the playoffs] but I can guarantee that we're
not going to stop working and that we're going to keep working to get that complete
- Alana Beard on the Mystics' focus for the rest of the season, to the Washington Post
"Everybody's disappointed. Everybody's disappointed in themselves and
how we played as a team.
Anytime you have an atmosphere like that, it's
just really kind of quiet, you're stepping back and realizing, 'What are you
going to do about it?' That's what's next. Accountability. Every last one of
us. All of us. What are we going to do about it?"
- Dream guard Betty Lennox on her team's disappointing season, to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"I'm not saying that I will ever be a superstar in this league, but I
will be a contributor on a winning team, and that can be just as gratifying."
- Sun reserve Barbara Turner on her role with the team, to the Republican-American
"We did everything that we've been working on over the Olympic break.
We're on our way to becoming a world championship team."
- Sparks head coach Michael Cooper on his team's recent improvement, to the Los Angeles Times
"What a homecoming - I love being back here in Phoenix. Of course I had
a lot of mixed emotions because I've gotten attached to Minnesota and I enjoy
being there, but just coming back home and seeing all of my fans and all the
people you know and love, of course your heart is going to be here. It has been
an emotional couple of days and I have another day and half to really soak up
the sun and enjoy it."
- Lynx assistant coach Jennifer Gillom on returning to Phoenix, where she starred for the Mercury
"We just need to take care of our business and whatever happens happens.
Everyone understands we are in a playoff race and what we are playing for."
- Liberty head coach Pat Coyle, to the New York Post
"To be honest. I don't know if it's anything more than having Sylvia back."
- Sky head coach Steven Key on the biggest reason for his team's improvement since the Olympic break, to the Chicago Tribune