Angel McCoughtry Named Eastern Conference Player of the Month
McCoughtry scored 16 or more points in eight of Atlanta’s 10 games as the Dream posted an 8-2 record in June, finishing the month atop the Eastern Conference with an overall mark of 11-4. The sixth-year pro led the East in scoring (19.6 ppg, second in the league behind only Tulsa’s Skylar Diggins), while ranking third in the conference in assists (3.6 apg) and seventh in steals (2.4 spg). She also added 5.6 rebounds per game. On June 23, McCoughtry earned her first Eastern Conference Player of the Week award of the season and the 12th such honor of her career.
Highlights of McCoughtry’s play in June included:
• June 7 vs. Chicago: Her 20-point, five-rebound, three-steal effort paced the Dream to a 97-59 win over the then-No. 1 ranked team in the East.
• June 13 vs. Minnesota: McCoughtry helped Atlanta topple another top-ranked team by pouring in a game-high 23 points while also contributing six rebounds and five assists in an 85-82 victory.
• June 18 vs. Washington: Posted 27 points, six rebounds, four assists, and three steals in an 83-73 win.
• June 22 at New York: Recorded a double-double with 33 points and 10 boards in an 85-78 defeat at New York.
• June 29 at Indiana: Closed out the month with an all-around effort that included 20 points, four rebounds, four assists, and four steals in a 76-68 road win over Indiana.
McCoughtry is currently third in the WNBA in scoring (20.1) and steals (2.5), and 11th in assists (4.1). She has scored in double figures in 13 of her 14 games, including seven games with 20+ points.
Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi was named the Western Conference Player of the Month.
The three-time Eastern Conference Champion Atlanta Dream is in its seventh season in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). The Dream has qualified for the playoffs in each of the past five seasons, including conference titles in 2013, 2011 and 2010. Season tickets and single-game tickets for the 2014 season can be purchased by calling (877) 977-7729 or visiting www.AtlantaDream.net. The next home game is scheduled for Tuesday, July 1, against the Indiana Fever at 8:00 p.m. The complete 2014 schedule can be found at www.wnba.com/dream/schedule.