Bentley, Rodgers Headline Second Round of WNBA Draft presented by State Farm
Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty Images
BRISTOL, Conn., April 15, 2012 Ė The Atlanta Dream tipped off the second round of the 2013 WNBA Draft presented by State Farm by selecting Penn Stateís Alex Bentley with the 13th overall pick. The Minnesota Lynx picked Sugar Rodgers from Georgetown with the 14th pick, while the New York Liberty went with Tennesseeís Kamiko Williams at 15.
Rounding out the rest of the second round: the San Antonio Silver Stars selected Arizonaís Davellyn Whyte (16th); the Washington Mystics picked St. Johnís Nadirah McKenith (17th); the Seattle Storm went with Iowa Stateís Chelsea Poppens (18th); the Washington Mystics selected Emma Meesseman of Belgium (19th); the San Antonio Silver Stars went with Diandra Tchatchouang of France (20th); the Indiana Fever tapped Georgiaís Jasmine Hassell (21st); the L.A. Sparks selected Kansas Stateís Brittany Chambers (22nd); the Connecticut Sun picked Iowa Stateís Anna Prins (23rd); and the Minnesota Lynx closed out the second round by selecting Chucky Jeffery from Colorado (24th).
The third round opened with the Liberty selecting Shenneika Smith from St. John's with the 25th overall pick, followed by Mercury picking Nikki Greene from Penn State (26th); the Liberty selecting Olcay Cakir from Turkey (27th); the Sky going with Brooklyn Pope from Baylor (28th); the Tulsa Shock selecting Angel Goodrich from Kansas (29th); the Storm tapping Jasmine James from Georgia (30th); the Dream getting Ann Marie Armstrong from Georgia (31st); the Silver Stars selecting Whitney Hand from Oklahoma (32nd); the Fever picking Floridaís Jennifer George (33rd); the Sparks selecting Alina Iagupova from Ukraine (34th); the Sun going with Andrea Smith from South Florida (35th); and the Lynx closing out the Draft by tapping Waltiea Rolle from North Carolina (36th).
The first round results, released earlier, included the Phoenix Mercury selecting Baylorís Brittney Griner with the No. 1 overall pick, followed by the Chicago Sky tapping Elena Delle Donne of Delaware with the second overall selection, and the Tulsa Shock picking Notre Dameís Skylar Diggins at No. 3.
With the fifth overall pick, the Washington Mystics selected Ohio Stateís Tyler Hill. The New York Liberty, the lone team with multiple picks in the first round, picked Texas A&Mís Kelsey Bone with the fifth overall selection and Oklahoma Stateís Toni Young at No. 7. The Seattle Storm used the sixth overall selection on Marylandís Tianna Hawkins. The San Antonio Silver Stars selected Kayla Alexander from Syracuse with the eighth pick. The Indiana Fever used the ninth selection on Calís Layshia Clarendon. With the 10th pick, the Los Angeles Sparks tapped Kentuckyís A'dia Matthies, followed by the Connecticut Sun selecting UConnís Kelly Faris with the 11th overall pick. With the 12th and final pick of the first round, the Minnesota Lynx took Nebraskaís Lindsey Moore.
The complete draft order follows.
1. Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury), Baylor
2. Elena Delle Donne (Chicago Sky), Delaware
3. Skylar Diggins (Tulsa Shock), Notre Dame
4. Tayler Hill (Washington Mystics), Ohio State
5. Kelsey Bone (New York Liberty), Texas A&M
6. Tianna Hawkins (Seattle Storm), Maryland
7. Toni Young (New York Liberty), Oklahoma State
8. Kayla Alexander (San Antonio Silver Stars), Syracuse
9. Layshia Clarendon (Indiana Fever), Cal
10. A'dia Matthies (Los Angeles Sparks), Kentucky
11. Kelly Faris (Connecticut Sun), UConn
12. Lindsey Moore (Minnesota Lynx), Nebraska
13. Alex Bentley (Atlanta Dream), Penn State
14. Sugar Rodgers (Minnesota Lynx), Georgetown
15. Kamiko Williams (New York Liberty), Tennessee
16. Davellyn Whyte (San Antonio), Arizona
17. Nadirah McKenith (Washington Mystics), Texas A&M
18. Chelsea Poppens (Seattle Storm), Iowa State
19. Emma Meesseman (Washington Mystics), Belgium
20. Diandra Tchatchouang (San Antonio Silver Stars), France
21. Jasmine Hassell (Indiana Fever), Georgia
22. Brittany Chambers (Los Angeles Sparks), Kansas State
23. Anna Prins (Connecticut Sun), Iowa State
24. Chucky Jeffery (Minnesota Lynx), Colorado
25. Shenneika Smith (New York Liberty), St. Johnís
26. Nikki Greene (Phoenix Mercury), Penn State
27. Olcay Cakir (New York Liberty), Turkey
28. Brooklyn Pope (Chicago Sky), Baylor
29. Angel Goodrich (Tulsa Shock), Kansas
30. Jasmine James (Seattle Storm), Georgia
31. Ann Marie Armstrong (Atlanta Dream), Georgia
32. Whitney Hand (San Antonio Silver Stars), Oklahoma
33. Jennifer George (Indiana Fever), Florida
34. Alina Iagupova (Los Angeles Sparks), Ukraine
35. Andrea Smith (Connecticut Sun), South Florida
36. Waltiea Rolle (Minnesota Lynx), North Carolina