With the help of our partners Waste Management, Metro, Heal the Bay and Habitat for Humanity, the Los Angeles Sparks are proud to present the Sparks Green Team. As an organization, we are committed to joining with local citizens, government agencies and businesses to reduce our environmental footprint.
A Message from Our Presenting Partner Waste Management
Waste Management is North America’s leading provider of integrated environmental solutions. We work with our customers and communities to manage and reduce waste from collection to disposal while recovering valuable resources and creating clean, renewable energy.
With several gas-to-energy plants in operation, we generate approximately 21.5 megawatts of electricity per hour, which is enough to power more than 22,000 California homes. In addition, we operate the state’s largest fleet of 100 percent natural gas-fueled collection trucks, and oversee 13 natural gas fueling stations.
Our products and services include:
- Single-stream recycling
- Construction and demolition debris recycling (www.thebagster.com)
- Fluorescent bulb and battery recycling (www.thinkgreenfromhome.com)
- E-waste recycling
- Organics recycling
- Medical waste disposal
- Waste collection and disposal
- Portable storage and moving services (www.1800packrat.com)
A Message from Our Presenting Partner Metro
Metro serves as transportation planner and coordinator, designer, builder and operator for one of the country’s largest, most populous counties. More than 9.6 million people – nearly one-third of California’s residents – live, work, and play within our 1,433-square-mile service area.
Our commitment to a better environment begins with public transit but goes well beyond bus and rail service to green solutions such as alternative fuels, emissions controls, bike and rideshare programs, electric vehicle charge stations, countywide planning, and the new ExpressLanes. Metro ExpressLanes reduce traffic congestion and air pollution emissions on the 10 and 110 freeways and benefit the environmental justice communities located adjacent to these corridors.
Metro Green Facts
- Operate 2,200 CNG buses, the largest such fleet in North America
- Funded over 150 projects to encourage bicycling
- Oversee vanpool and ExpressLanes programs to encourage ridesharing
- Reduced energy costs by $1 million annually by installing solar panels at our facilities
- Introduced electric vehicle charge stations at Park & Ride lots
- Adopted a Green Construction Policy and Countywide Sustainability Planning Policy
For more information on Metro’s sustainability programs, visit metro.net/sustainability