Top Sky Plays of the Year
The 2012 season had some amazing moments for the Sky. Here’s a look at some of the top plays of arguably the most exciting season in franchise history.
1. Carolyn Swords makes the perfect pass from the elbow to a wide open Shay Murphy for three. Murphy, who finished second in the WNBA in three-point shooting percentage, finished the season draining 44.1% of her attempts from beyond the arc.
2. On a night where the Sky honored the men and women in uniform with Police & Fire Night, the Sky hosted and upset the defending WNBA Champions Minnesota Lynx. The Lynx strolled into Allstate Arena with an eleven game winning streak but the Sky put an end to that. Vandersloot scored 17 points in the game and drove past Olympic Gold Medalist Lindsay Whalen for a nifty right-handed layup on this play.
3. Vandersloot, who set the Sky single-season assist record with 127 in her rookie season in 2011, obliterated that mark in 2012 and dished out 157 on the year. With a dominant post-player like Sylvia Fowles, who she finds here against Connecticut for the easy layup, you can expect to see those numbers rise every year.
4. We head back to the Sky vs. Lynx game as Tamera Young makes it look easy and drives by Maya Moore and Taj McWilliams-Franklin for a layup as she gets the friendly roll-in.
5. Swin Cash, who was the only Sky player to start all 34 games this season, sizes up Sancho Lyttle of the Atlanta Dream in this clip. Recognizing the height difference, Cash takes Lyttle to the paint for a hook shot.
6. The lost art of the pick-and-roll is displayed beautifully as Swords set a strong pick on Maya Moore to let Cash loose. Swin repays the favor by finding a wide-open Swords under the basket for an easy layup.
7. It’s Shay Murphy attacking the hole. Murphy powers her way past Monica Wright for a circus, scoop shot that rattles around the rim before falling in.
8. Someone needs to check Alison Hightower’s ankles after this nasty crossover Epiphanny Prince put on her in late August. Prince beats the shot clock and hits the three over the Sun with this incredible shot.
9. On June 2, the Sky erased a 22-point deficit to defeat the Dream in overtime, 94-92. Prince scored a career-high 33 points including this buzzer beater at the end of regulation to send the game into an extra period. Prince banks it in off the glass with an impossible shot while Sylvia Fowles lays Sancho Lyttle out with a solid pick.
10. Prince scores 16 of her 31 points in a fourth quarter comeback on June 1 against Washington to set up Fowles’ game-winning buzzer beater shown in this clip. Tied at 63, Cash inbounds the ball and lobs it in to Fowles who connects on a double-clutch layup to secure a victory in dramatic fashion for the Sky.
11. Was there any hotter player than Prince in the month of June. Epiphanny records her third consecutive 30 point game against Tulsa on June 8 as the Sky score a franchise-high 21 points in overtime to beat the Shock, 98-91. Prince hits yet another buzzer-beating 3-pointer on this night to extend the game and ends with 32 points for the night.
Make sure you join the Sky in 2013 as the team looks to clinch their first postseason berth in franchise history.