Thorn's 3s Come Up Short

The Chicago Sky proved their resiliency Sunday afternoon being able to come back from 10 points down in the fourth quarter. Erin Thorn was able to catch fire, hitting three shots from behind the arc to tie the game at 64 with 1:26 remaining. However, after some costly turnovers by the Sky, the Fever was able pull out a 70-64 victory.

With Indiana’s aggressive defense and no Sky player in double digits entering the fourth quarter, it was unclear who would step out. Thorn answered the call, finishing with 15 points, nine coming in the fourth quarter.

“It’s a crummy happiness,” Thorn said. “Last game I was 0-for-6, but we won. While I wasn’t happy with the overall performance, the goal is to win the game.”

Despite the valiant effort by the Sky (6-9), it was the Fever (9-4) who came up with the big plays when it counted. With 26 seconds to play, in the midst of the comeback, the Fever had just six seconds on the shot clock. The Sky forced a tough jumper but missed a box out allowing star forward Tamika Catchings to grab the board.

After converting one of two from the line, the Sky still had a chance to tie the game. However, with no one getting open, the Fever forced a questionable inbound five seconds call from the sideline. After increasing the lead to four points, the Sky had one last chance to end their season woes against Indiana, yet another turnover on the inbound sealed the deal for the Fever.

“In gut check time, we got the stops that we needed to get defensively,” Head Coach Linn Dunn said. “I think the difference in the ball game was we made 10 three's.”

The Fever finished the game shooting nearly 60 percent from 3-point range, yet shot 39 percent from the field. Credit could be thrown to the Sky defense, however Catchings wasn’t very generous.

“They did a great job on defense but I was missing some wide open layups, and in that case, it wasn't them,” Catchings said. “It was just one of those nights.”

Uncharacteristically, the Sky were able to outrebound the Fever 37-27, resulting in 15 second chance points. Sylvia Fowles collected 17 of those rebounds, one off her career-high, to go along with her 11 points. Nonetheless, it was the Sky’s failed execution that ended their two-game winning streak.

“No one came to see that; the fans, the players, no one,” Coach Steven Key said. “In my opinion, it was a second too early. That doesn’t matter though. So while the call was unfortunate, the game didn’t come down to that play.”

To see photos from the game click here!