Candice Dupree’s Team USA Training Camp Blog - Day 7

What’s up Sky fans? Last chance I had to blog I was getting ready to go to the airport to head to Ekaterinburg, Russia for a four-team international invitational with Team USA. Here’s what’s happened since. We left for the airport at 7pm. Once we got checked in I decided to buy a few snacks and have my last meal in the states, at Wendy's. I followed that up with a 12 pack of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from Potbelly' favorite!! I had to make sure I had enough to snack on while on the plane.

Once I got settled for the 7 hour flight to Frankfurt, I pulled out my Nintendo DS and went to work on Super Mario Brothers...a classic! Eventually I had to take a break because it was time to eat dinner.

Don't know if you've ever flown business class but sometimes the food can be pretty nasty. There is always some kind of raw fish, or really rare beef as an appetizer, a salad and then the main course, followed by dessert. I can't remember what I chose for my main course, but I can surely remember telling myself "this is nasty", and not eating it.

After dinner I pulled my Nintendo back out and continued to get more and more aggravated with Mario because I kept losing. I called it quits and went to sleep until there was only about an hour left in the flight. I woke up and had some yogurt, fresh fruit, and orange juice for breakfast. I’m not sure how many people have ever flown overseas, but it is crucial that after sleeping for six hours you go and brush your teeth and attempt to freshen up a little. I don't care to be around stinky people, nor do I want to be classified as one of them.

Upon our arrival to Frankfurt, Germany, we all headed for the "Business Class Lounge" which is where we would sit and enjoy our eight hour layover. Now I have seen some very nice lounges, but this one in particular wasn't exactly "first class." We all unloaded out stuff and found a place to sit and rest our eyes for a fun filled day of NOTHING! I made a few phone calls to let people know that I made it safely and yet again pulled out the Nintendo DS. This time Mario and I made a little more progress. At some point I could feel my eyelids getting heavier and heavier and had to call it quits. Using my jacket as a pillow, I slumped down in my chair and fell asleep. It wasn't exactly the greatest nap, but it was much needed. I can remember shifting back and forth because my legs kept falling asleep.

After my nap I got up and chatted with some of the other players. Come 5:30 it was time to head to our gate to prepare for the flight to Ekaterinburg. I made a pit stop at McDonald's and got myself a 6 piece nugget before boarding the flight.

Once on the plane we were told that it was going to be a 5 hour flight...YIKES!! At this point I think my butt was numb from all of the sitting we had done. Again, I decided to play my Nintendo while waiting for the flight attendants to bring our dinner. This time the food wasn't too bad. I had some sliced beef as an appetizer, and turkey with some kind of pasta for my main course. Surprisingly this flight went by pretty fast.

By the time we got to Ekaterinburg, it was now almost 4am. It took quite some time to get our bags, and of course it would be too much for all of the bags to make it. Angel's (McCaughtry) bag, along with one of the staff member's bag didn't make it. After getting all of that situated, we boarded the bus and headed for the hotel. Never in my life was I so happy to see a shower. Once again I made a few phone calls, showered, and called it a...morning!

This has been one of the longest days of my life. Thanks for checking up on me and make sure to check out tomorrow’s entry.

Click here to read Candice's Day 6 Blog