NEW YORK, July 2, 2012 – Tina Charles of the Connecticut Sun and Candace Parker of the of the Los Angeles Sparks, were named the WNBA’s Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month presented by Boost Mobile, respectively, for games played during June.
This marks the first season that Boost Mobile – the leaguewide marquee partner of the WNBA – has presented the WNBA Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month awards.
In leading the Sun to a 7-3 record, Charles paced the conference in blocks (1.5 bpg), was second in rebounds (11.5 rpg), and fourth in scoring (17.9 ppg). Charles recorded a double-double in six of 10 contests, scoring at least 20 points five times.
Highlights of Charles’ month included:
- With eight rebounds vs. Indiana on June 19, became the fastest player in league history to reach 900 career boards, doing so in her 79th game to surpass the mark of 83 games set by Yolanda Griffith.
- Recorded 23 points, pulled down 22 rebounds, and hit a pair of free throws with 3.1 seconds left to give the Sun its first lead of the game in a in a 75-73 win at Atlanta on June 17. In the process, became the first player in WNBA history to log three 20-20 games in a career.
- Scored 30 points, the second-highest total of her career, in a 94-86 win over Washington June 3.
- Tallied 20 points and 12 rebounds in loss to the defending champion Minnesota Lynx June 1.
- Led Connecticut past Atlanta, 92-73, with a 22-point, 11-rebound effort June 10.
Parker, who also earned Western Conference Player of the Month presented by Boost Mobile honors in May, helped the Sparks to a 6-5 mark in June while leading the conference in rebounds (10.2 rpg) and blocks (2.7 bpg), and ranking second in scoring (18.8 ppg). Twice in June Parker was named the Western Conference Player of the Week presented by Boost Mobile as she notched six double-doubles in 10 contests.
Highlights of Parker’s month included:
- Game highs of 33 points, 16 rebounds (including 13 defensive boards), eight assists, and five blocks while contributing three steals in an 87-81 road win over Connecticut June 13.
- Tallied 33 points, nine blocks, and eight rebounds in a 95-79 victory over Tulsa June 20. Became third player in WNBA history to post nine or more blocks (the late Margo Dydek and Lisa Leslie each recorded a 10-block game, and Dydek swatted away nine shots three other times).
- Recorded 25 points, 13 rebounds, and four assists<,/b> in a 94-80 defeat at the hands of the San Antonio Silver Stars June 28.
- Posted a 23-point, 10-rebound effort in a 90-74 victory over Phoenix June 8.
The WNBA Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month presented by Boost Mobile are part of a series of on-court performance awards called the WNBA Performance Awards presented by Boost Mobile. The series, currently in its first season, also includes the WNBA Players of the Week presented by Boost Mobile and four of the WNBA's most prestigious year-end honors: WNBA Most Valuable Player presented by Boost Mobile, WNBA Defensive Player of the Year presented by Boost Mobile, WNBA Sixth Woman presented by Boost Mobile, and WNBA Most Improved Player presented by Boost Mobile.
For more information on this week's Players of the Month presented by Boost Mobile winners, visit www.wnba.com/awards.