Date: Saturday, June 22, 2013
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Site: Bankers Life Fieldhouse (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Television - FOX Sports Indiana and NBATV
Radio - The Fan 1070 AM/107.5 FM
Webcast - Live webcast and stats can be accessed via WNBA Live Access on FeverBasketball.com
Storylines & Promotions
• The Fever tries to overcome its string of decimating injuries and snap a five-game losing streak when Indiana hosts Eastern Conference rival Chicago at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Saturday’s tipoff is 7:00 p.m.
• It is Simply Good Health Night presented by Community Health Network on Saturday. It is a Lucas Oil Family Night presented by IndyStar.com, with a game ticket, Pepsi product, chips, a hot dog and a t-shirt available for prices beginning at $19. A pregame Chalk Talk presented by Old National Bank takes place in Locker Room Restaurant beginning at 6:30 p.m.
• Saturday’s game airs live on FOX Sports Indiana with Chris Denari and Debbie Antonelli calling the action. The game will also be carried nationally on NBATV. Kevin Lee handles radio play-by-play duties on The Fan 1070 AM/107.5 FM.
• In its defense of the 2012 WNBA championship, Indiana has been beset by a series of debilitating injuries. Four Fever regulars who combined for 60 starts last season are out through mid-July with their minutes being filled by a rookie (Layshia Clarendon); two replacement players (Erin Thorn and Jasmine Hassell); a free agent who didn’t play in the league last year (Jessica Breland); and a pair of subs who saw limited minutes in 2012 (Karima Christmas and Sasha Goodlett).
• A loss would extend the club’s sluggish start to the season, its slowest since an 0-5 beginning in 2001. A loss would extend the Fever losing streak to six games, matching similar streaks in 2003, 2004 and 2007 to equal the second-longest in franchise history.
• For the first time since 2001, Indiana has a scoring leader not named Catchings or Douglas. After six games, Shavonte Zellous paces all Fever scorers with 18.2 points per game, good for seventh in the WNBA. Like Catchings, Zellous has scored in double figures in every game – capped by her regular-season career high of 29 points against Phoenix, 6/8
• The Fever ranks 11th in the WNBA in rebounding thus far, with 30.0 rebounds per game. While Erlana Larkins (8.2) and Tamika Catchings (6.3) combine to average 14.5 boards per game, the rest of the Fever lineup averages just 15.5.
• The Indiana Fever visited the White House on Friday, June 14 to be honored by President Barack Obama for its 2012 WNBA championship. For Lin Dunn, it was her first opportunity to meet a standing or past U.S. President. Her only visit inside the White House was with a tour of Girl Scouts when she was a youngster in the late 1950s.
Fever: F - Tamika Catchings, C - Erlana Larkins, G - Katie Douglas, G - Shavonte Zellous, G - Briann January
Sky: F - Swin Cash, F - Elena Delle Donne, C - Sylvia Fowles, G - Courtney Vandersloot, G - Epiphanny Prince
The Indiana Fever overcame a 1-of-11 shooting start and an early 10-point deficit on September 1, 2012 to triumph over the Chicago Sky, 81-64.The victory lifted Indiana's 2012 home record to 10-3, making the Fever the first WNBA team to win 10 or more home games in 11 consecutive seasons. January led Indiana with 19 points and four assists, Catchings collected 17 points and 10 rebounds, and Katie Douglas had 17 points and added five steals, which tied a career high.
Fever vs Mystics: Shavonte Zellous led the short-handed Fever (1-5) with 17 points, and Tamika Catchings scored 16 points with four assists, but the defending champions dropped their fifth straight game against the Washington Mystics, 64-60. The tight contest was tied, 31-31, at halftime and fittingly came down to the final minute. Overall, the Fever made only 35.5% of its shots while the Mystics made 38.7% of theirs. Indiana was outrebounded, 37-29.
Sky vs Shock: The Sky lost their third straight road game on Thursday afternoon, 83-74 at Tulsa. Chicago was paced by Sylvia Fowles, who had 17 points and 12 rebounds. Chicago hit four of its first five shots, including a pair 3-pointers from Epiphanny Prince, to take a 10-1 lead with 7:43 to play in the opening period. Fowles had her fourth double-double of the season, Elena Delle Donne added 14 points and Prince finished with 13.
Saturday’s matchup is the 30th meeting between Indiana and Chicago in what has been billed as the I-65 series. The Fever has won 24 of the past 29 games and is 14-1 against the Sky at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Chicago’s only road win in the series (80-73) came on August 13, 2006, during the Sky’s first season. Indiana has won 13 straight bouts on its home floor. The Fever has won six straight meetings overall and 13 of 14 against the Sky, including 5-0 marks in both 2010 and 2012.