Notes and Quotes: August 18-24, 2008
- U.S. coach Anne Donovan on her Olympic team roster after winning gold Saturday in a rout of Australia, to USABasketball.com
"What Lisa means to this team, both this year and USA Basketball in general I think the gold medals kind of speak for themselves."
- USA point guard Sue Bird on teammate Lisa Leslie, who collected her fourth straight gold medal, to the New York Times
"We had something to prove. We had a legacy to uphold. I can't think of a better way to do it. This is another dream come true. I've had three dreams come true."
- U.S. veteran Katie Smith, who took home her third Olympic gold, to the Detroit News
"When Lisa fouled out, initially you think, 'Wow, Lisa just fouled out.' Then you see Sylvia running to check in and everything is OK. We just continued to come at teams. I've only been on two Olympic teams, but this team is pretty damn good."
- Bird after the gold-medal game, to the Chicago Tribune
"It's 40 minutes, 40 minutes of your life. And even though the outcome wasn't good, it's something that I will always hold with me, and I'm very thankful for the opportunity to step out there."
- Silver Stars superstar Becky Hammon, who played for Russia during the Olympic Games, after losing to her native United States in Thursday's semifinal matchup, to the San Antonio Express-News
"She has played an important role for us. I am very happy to have a player like her on the court. She is like a family member on our team."
- Russia coach Igor Grudin about Hammon after Thursday's semi, to the San Antonio Express-News
"We're a band of sisters fighting for our country. You have to have some type of passion about it for yourself and for each other. Every minute you're out on the court, it's not that we're doing it for me we're doing it for we. And when you do it that way things work out."
- U.S. forward DeLisha Milton-Jones, to USA TODAY
"(Becky)'s playing for Russia right now so just like the rest of their team that makes her the enemy when we step on the court. And this is a friend of mine. But when we step on the court, she's got the Russia colors on just like the rest of them and we go to war."
- Sue Bird prior to the USA's semifinal matchup with Russia, to FIBA.com
"One door closed for me making the Olympic team and another door opened."
- Storm forward Swin Cash after being selected to provide commentary for NBC during the Olympic basketball competition, to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
"Here's my visual: I want a picture of me with four gold medals around my neck and my daughter in my arms."
- USA co-captain Lisa Leslie of her goals for the remainder of the Olympics after Tuesday's quarterfinal win over South Korea, to the Boston Globe
"The Mystics have been operating for too long without a long-term plan. In the three years that I have been an owner and a general partner, our thinking has been far too shortsighted and our player-personnel decisions are far too needs-based. That all ends today."
- Mystics President and Managing Partner Sheila Johnson on her team's future, to the Washington Post
"I feel real good about our positioning right now. The key is: Can we
get back to that form once the games begin? We have eight games left, five on
the road. We have to find a way to bring our best."
- Seattle Storm coach Brian Agler, to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"I'm playing so that my daughter and my son have the same opportunities. If she wants to play basketball, then she can make a career out of playing basketball and all the doors will be open."
- USA Olympian and rookie Sparks star Candace Parker on her motivation to be the best she can be in the sport of basketball, to the New York Times