Notes and Quotes: May 17-18, 2008
- Sparks head coach Michael Cooper on the 34 point, 12 rebound, 8 assist debut of rookie and No. 1 draft pick Candace Parker
"Obviously, it was better than I expected."
- Sparks forward Candace Parker after her successful WNBA debut
"It's going to be great.
She's already a phenomenal player but
there are things we can always improve on and once she gets that and fixes little
things that need improving, the sky's the limit for us."
- Sparks legendary center Lisa Leslie on Parker, her new teammate
"I was grabbed twice when I was trying to take the shot. I apologize to
the team for getting a technical foul. It was a critical moment and we still
had a chance to win the game."
- Mercury guard Cappie Pondexter on her three-point attempt in the waning moments that would have tied the game
"Felt good. I have been a nervous wreck, a lot of anxiety. I've been waiting
for this for a long time."
- The Fever's Katie Douglas on her successful debut back in her home state of Indiana
"My thing is this: We are entertainers first and foremost. What we do
is entertainment. I feed off of that. I feed off the loudness of the crowd.
Even a fan calling my name and telling me I'm not being tough enough. I feed
off of that."
- Sun forward Tamika Whitmore on the excitement of playing at Mohegan Sun Arena
"She could be starting for any team including ours. I told her today that
I thought that I needed her to come off the bench, and she said that was fine
with her. I know that she would like to start, but she'll do whatever is best
for our ball club."
- Shock coach Bill Laimbeer on the role of 2007 Sixth Woman of the Year Plenette Pierson
"We need to work on our chemistry as a team. We need to do the intangible
things like getting on the boards, fighting for loose balls
just effort. Effort was a big thing tonight."
- Houston Comets coach Karleen Thompson after Saturday's loss to Detroit, on what the team need to work on
"This is my home. I played here in high school, my family is here and
the beach is here. It's really nice to be back. It's always a bittersweet thing
to come back to Sacramento."
- Silver Stars forward Erin Buescher on returning to Sacramento
"It was the home opener. I don't know how you can come out flat."
- New York coach Pat Coyle on the Liberty struggling in the first half and losing their home opener to Connecticut
"I look at the Liberty as any other team. I was able to start my career
here some years ago. It was unfortunate I wasn't used as an offensive player,
but I was a scorer coming out of college and I'm still a scorer now."
- Sun forward Tamika Whitmore on playing her former team and scoring 17 points to lead Connecticut to its second win in two days